Oct 29, 2009

the joy of reading

I think it is so important that our kids read just for the sake of reading - no workbooks, no tests, just time to read something they want to read. I wrote in an earlier blog that this kind of reading in our classrooms in a key to reducing the achievement gap, and I truly believe that. Which is why it is so sad to me that both times I have been observed this year my administrators have commented on how great everything was, but I should perhaps have a follow-up activity to the SSR, so the students recognize the academic rigor of it.

How do we teach people to love something by testing it?

1 comment:

  1. Argh. I am entirely with you here. "Activity-izing" all reading truly does kill its joy. The activities rarely even have educational benefit.

    ReplyDelete

Gifted Education 2.0 Ning